BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Spinach and Ham Quiche

Spring showers bring May flowers, and May brings mothers day, (and for my family, it also brings  my mom's birthday!) My mom is an incredible lady. Not only did she manage to homeschool us 5 crazy kids, she is a perfect cook, a great listener, and a wealth of wisdom.  This mother's day, I wanted to make a nice family brunch. Something healthy and delicious, and a bit outside the box. Quiche seemed to fit the bill, but after looking at kajillions of recipes, I couldn't quite find one that I liked. Fortunately, I was able to use them as a guide to create my own. Ecce ("behold!") healtified ham and spinach quiche!
4 oz chopped ham (I just ordered a hunk of it from the deli counter, then chopped it)
1 cup shredded cheese (I used reduced fat cheddar)
16 oz cottage cheese (I used 2% fat)
4 eggs, beaten
pepper to taste 
1 10oz package frozen chopped spinach,  thawed
Roughly 1/3 cup chopped onion (I used 1/4 of a large vidalia)

Brown onion in skillet coated lightly in cooking spray/oil.  In another skillet, cook spinach until soft, drain off water. (I just drained it, didn't squeeze it dry) In a separate bowl, combine all other ingredients. Add in spinach and onion. Pour into pie plate coated with cooking spray.  Bake on 350 for about 50-60 minutes or until golden brown

My family loved this! The flavor was great, and it reheated just as well the next day. (And the day after that..)